So to give credit where credit is due, I did get this off the Sugar and Soul web site.
This easy and Classic Baklava recipe is loaded with layers of cinnamon, nuts, and butter and saturated in a simple honey syrup! Everyone will love this sweet and sticky dessert!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Cooling Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 36 people
- 1 (16 ounce) package Phyllo Dough thawed
- 1 lb finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the nuts and cinnamon to a medium bowl and mix together, set aside.
- Unroll both tubes of phyllo dough on a clean surface, cover loosely with saran wrap and a damp dishcloth so the dough doesn't try out.
- Melt the butter in the microwave on 30-second intervals. Use a pastry brush to brush butter onto the bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch baking pan. Line the dough up with the length of the pan and feel free to cut off any excess at the end, usually, there's an extra inch or so that can be removed.
- Add two sheets of phyllo dough to the buttered pan, and use the pastry brush to brush melted butter over the entire surface area of the dough, repeat until you have 8 layered sheets total.
- Evenly sprinkle the top of the buttered 8th sheet with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the nut mixture.
- Lay another two sheets on top and brush with butter and then add nuts again. Repeat the dough, butter, nuts layers until you have just 8 sheets left, adding those two at a time and only brushing with butter.
- Using a really sharp knife, cut 4 rows down the length of the pan and then cut diagonally all the way down and across the pan for a traditional baklava prep. You may also cut into squares.
- Bake for 50 minutes until baklava is golden and crisp on top.
- With 30 minutes left to bake, begin making the syrup by adding the water and sugar to a small pot and bringing to a boil over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the vanilla and honey and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the baklava from the oven and immediately pour the sauce over the entire pan, let set and cool.
Adapted from All My Recipes. Baklava does freeze well.Chopped Pistachios can also be used.
Calories: 169kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 55mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 170IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 11mg | Iron: 0.3mg