It is time again for another edition of Show Your Stuff . This week I have an article about preparation, cooking tips, and left overs.
Preparation, Cooking Tips, and Leftovers, What to do?
your like around 85% of all people who made thanksgiving dinner or will
be cooking for the holidays here are some preparation tips, cooking
tips, and leftover tips:
- Plan a
menu 2 weeks in advance and make shopping list. If other people offer
to bring something, know what they are bringing so you can plan
- Shop accordingly, If you have no freezer space buy
your turkey or ham 2 - 3 days ahead and place in refrigerator to thaw.
fresh produce should be bought the day before.
- prepare all dishes in advance if possible. (i.e. Green bean casserole, pies)
- Know the timing of all dishes that need to cook, make a timetable for
all items so you know if you have enough burners or oven space and
everything is hot and fresh out of the oven.
- Make sure you have enough pots, pans, and serving utensils before you need them
- If you are cooking a turkey have a meat thermometer handy. DO NOT rely on the pop up timer!
- If you have any food prep to do, do it first.
- Have all recipes needed handy and available.
- give yourself plenty of time, don't rush!
- Have your cooking timetable ready.
- Focus ( don't be distracted by TV or phone). Pay attention to details.
- Clean as you go. It will make it a lot easier clean up at the end.
- Use timers. It will make it easier to multitask.
- Never serve or store whip cream in a metal container. This will break down the whip cream.
- Never use aluminum foil on high acidity items ( i.e. Spaghetti sauce)
the acid will break the foil down and you will have silver flakes in
- Store and take care of
leftovers as soon as possible. You only have 6 total hours in the food
danger zone 40 - 140 degrees. This includes prep time, serving time, and
- Do Not use foil to freeze. Wrap in plastic wrap then store in a plastic container.
- Make actual meal plates if you plan on using them as additional meals.
NEXT TIME MENU IDEAS FOR LEFTOVERS!
Now it is time to show off your stuff!